When we get asked about what is the biggest impact on a business, we advise employers to look at their hiring process. If you bring in the right talent, it will have a significant impact on every aspect of your business.
Being Human Resources consultants, we see the effects of this every day. It is also why we are so pleased to announce the most recent addition to our team. More about that in a minute. First, think of your best hire. What made that individual special? What was the impact on your organization?
Chances are it was significant and didn’t stop when the new hire honeymoon period was over. Talented employees find a way to keep making a positive difference on the organization for the long haul.
So how do we find the right talent in a tight labor market? There are a number of things that you can do, including:
- Provide a desirable work environment. Highly talented people have options and they aren’t likely to accept a position with someone who isn’t an employer of choice.
- Know what you want before you start your search. Every candidate can look like a fit if you don’t know what you need. Develop a profile of the role you need to fill.
- Share your vision for the role. Make certain that the candidate wants to do the type of work that you have to offer. Being a talented employee is frustrating if you aren’t able to use your strengths to impact the organization.
- Screen well. Use a structured interview process to ensure that you are evaluating candidates fairly and thoroughly. Use work samples, behaviorally based interviews, and scenarios to truly evaluate the candidate.
- Check references. We know what you’re thinking……NOBODY gives meaningful information as a reference. That’s because we call the HR department or the friendly coworker. Ask your candidates for the cell number of a previous supervisor. If they aren’t willing or able to do that, take a hard pass and keep looking.
At HRM, we’re proud of our latest hire. Dan Fry has joined HRM as our new Chief Marketing Officer. Many of you may know Dan from his time at HelpNet where he spent 30 years working with HR departments supporting their EAP needs.
Dan has a talent for understanding and evaluating the needs of both individuals and organization. He knows the impact that working in a great workplace has on people’s lives and that makes him dedicated to improving the employment experience for everyone.
Please join us in welcoming Dan to the HRM team!