Yes, it is already mid-January 2017…Have you noticed that your “Fa La La…” from December has waned and you’re tired of the Michigan gray skies? Well, your friends at HRM would like to brighten your day!
Our latest ray of sunshine is to remind you that the new “smart” I-9 Form is to be used as of January 22, 2017. It’s time to toss those old forms and to enter the era of “smart” I-9’s! The “smart” I-9 form contains pop-up informational icons and error-checking capabilities. Also it does not allow the completion of the form if a mandatory field is left blank.
Per the SHRM website, here are some of the things the new form will be able to do:
- Validate fields to ensure information is entered correctly. The form will confirm the correct number of digits for a Social Security number or an expiration date on an identity document.
- Include embedded instructions for completing each field.
- Provide additional spaces to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- Allow employees to provide only other last names used in Section 1, rather than all other names used to avoid possible discrimination issues and to protect the privacy of transgender and other individuals who have changed their first names.
- Remove the requirement that immigrants provide both their Form I-94 number and foreign passport information in Section 1.
- Include a dedicated area to enter additional information that employers are currently required to notate in the margins of the form, such as Temporary Protected Status and Optional Practical Training extensions.
- Use a quick-response matrix barcode, or QR code, which generates once the form is printed which can be used to streamline enforcement audits.
Remember, this new I-9 form is not an electronic I-9 as defined in the regulations, so employers filling out the new form I-9 using Adobe Reader will still need to print the form, obtain handwritten signatures, store in a safe place, monitor re-verification and updates with a calendaring system, and retype information into E-Verify as required.
Give us a call if you have any questions. We would be happy to assist you with these bright beams of I-9 sunshine!